Split is the largest coastal city of Croatia. It is over 1700 years old and is one of the most interesting places to visit.
In the year 295 AD, the Roman emperor Diocletian began building his retirement palace right on the main harbour and was finally completed after 10 years. The palace, built using white stone from the island of Brac, marble from Italy & Greece, and columns and sphinx from Egypt, which measures approxiamtely 215 metersby 180 meters within walls 2m thick and 25m high, now houses numerous cafes, restaurants, and shops.
“Split-Dent“ Dental Clinic - many tourists come to Croatia to save money on dental work and in return get a free vacation with the money they saved. This is one of the more well known clinics in Croatia that has appeared on RTL Television and in newspaper columns.
Things To See And Do:
1. Take a tour within and around Diocletian's palace and see:
- St. Domnius Cathedral (.70 EUR admission to climb belltower)
- The palace cellars (.50 EUR admission)
- Jupiter's Temple (admission upon request)
- Statue of Gregorius of Nin
- Town Museum
- Go on a private tour: Tours in Split
Take an audio walking tour of Split using your mobile phone:
3. Explore Marjan Hill (a nature reserve 3.5 km long overlooking the city center)
- Go to Vidilica Cafe and take some great pictures of the city bay
- Visit Bene, a family recreational area with beach, playground, tennis courts, basketball, badminton...
- Visit the small Split Zoo on top of Marjan
- Take a stroll or jog around the many trails across Marjan, bike rental also available
- Climb to Telegrin (highest peak - 178m) and get a panaromic view of surroundings
4. Go to the beach
- The Bacvice beach is the main city beach near Hotel Park. Beach is sandy and shallow
- Marjan beaches include Bene, Kasuni, Kastelete
- Beaches are also located in area of Znjan and Trstenik
Private Accommodation in Split: