The village of Brusje is situated 6 km from Hvar. The name Brusje dervies from "brus" meaning stone. The villlage was founded as a shepherd settlement in the 16th century and there are two ruins of the summer villas of Njivice and Moncirovo from that period. At first it was a suburb dependent on the town of Hvar. From the beginning of the 18th century it had its own church Sv. Juraj (St. George) which has a statue of the saint on the facade. On the high altar there is a painting of St. Anthony by B. Zelotti (1532-1592), which was transferred here from the Dominican monastery in Hvar.
The former inhabitants were mostly involved with cattle-breeding and agriculture, while today priority is given mostly to the cultivation and processing of lavender, which plays an important role in the island's exports. Brusje is exceptionally charming because of its magnificent scenery, abundance of stone mounds, as well as the fragrant scents of lavender and rosemary, and a unique view over the Hvar Channel to the island of Brac.
Private Accommodation in Brusje:
|VILLA HRASTE (Jagodna Bay)
Sveta Nedjelja is a village situated just below the highest peak on the island, Sveti Nikola (626 m). It is located 12 km east from the city of Hvar. The coast between Sveta Nedjelja and Zavala (10 km west of Sveta Nedjelja) has several little coves with wonderful fine pebble beaches where you can find some privacy. There is also a beautiful beach located in the town itself that is very popular.
Sveta Nedjelja is especially known by its wines which have the reputation of being the best wines of the island of Hvar, particularly the Plavac red wine. Sveta Nedjelja is also a very popular free-climbing destination. There are is a small market in the village and several restaurants that serve local dishes and excellent vines.
Private Accommodation in Sveta Nedjelja:
|VILLA POD BOROM
Zavala is a small harbor village, 13 km south of Jelsa, on the southern coast of Hvar. It is located on the local road that goes from Jelsa, through Pitve then through a long narrow and dark tunnel (1400 m). The tunnel is regulated with traffic light because it's so narrow that two cars can't pass each other.
Zavala offers some of the most beautiful pebble beaches and is much more tranquil than the other crowded resorts on the island. Mass tourism has not reached this area yet and there are several little coves where you can find some privacy. The most attractive beach is at Petrascica (with a cave).
Zavala is famous for its excellent white wine (bogdanjuša). Its attractions include the summer residence of the family Duboković-Nadalini (Biedermeyer style, about 1830) with the chapel of St. George (1866); further west, the former residence of the first owner of Zavala, Count Tadije Kačić (about 1630), and the residence of Zavala's 18th-century owner with the old chapel of St. Peter (1727) at the eastern end of the village.
Private Accommodation in Zavala:
Vrboska is a harbor town situated in a narrow and deeply indented bay on the central part of the northern coast of the island of Hvar. The town is connected by three tiny Venetian-like stone bridges that give the place an indescribable charm and warmth. The cove is enclosed by a dense pine forest. The town of Jelsa can be reached by taking a 30 minute stroll along a coastal road.
The town is divided into two parts - Pjaca in the east and Padva in the west. Padva is a mixture of Renaissance and Baroque houses lined up along the shore, while Pjaca has churches, narrow streets, remnants of Municipal Loggia and houses with Renaissance and Gothic details. The popular beaches are:
SOLINE – a peninsula full of beautiful small pebble coves on the southern side while on the northern side prevail symmetrically shaped flat stones.
MASLINICA – a pebble beach, only a 10 minute walk from the center of Vrboska.
Private Accommodation in Vrboska:
Vrbanj is a village in the western interior of the island of Hvar, 5 km southeast of Stari Grad; elevation 40 m. Vrbanj is situated on the regional road running along the island. The ruins of a country villa and inscription fragments on the location of Carevac as well as two oil presses date back to the Roman period. The village was first mentioned under its present name in 1331. The parish church of the Holy Spirit was built in the 18th century; it keeps Baroque paintings and liturgical items. The ruins of the mediaeval church of St. Vitus rise on the hill called Hum overlooking the village. Vrbanj stays unchanged since ancient times in its typical Hvar landscape adorned with the fields of scented lavender.
Private Accommodation in Vrbanj: